OpenOffice.org Office Suite
Open``Office.org is a sophisticated office suite that stands comparison with other suites. It has all the components you might expect from an effective suite, including Word Processor, Spreadsheet and Presentation applications, but also encourages the use of open document formats, so that you aren't tied to one particular office suite when you come to upgrade your system.
- High degree of compatibility with Microsoft Office
- Cross-platform (also runs on Windows and Mac OS X)
- Many professional features, including Mail Merge and PDF output
- Open``Office.org is part of the default Ubuntu installation and so should already be installed
Hints and Tips
- MSTemplatesInOpenOffice - Instructions on how to import Microsoft Office templates into OpenOffice
- OpenOffice.orgDraw - Information about the Draw component of OpenOffice
- UsingJavaDatabaseConnectivityAndOpenOffice - Instructions on using OpenOffice to edit MySQL Database files using JDBC connectivity
- Fonts - Some issues reported with fonts have been discussed here.
- Google Doc Extension - Instruction on installing Google Doc extension to Open Office.
Other applications you may wish to look at
- GNOME Office
- Abiword Word Processor
- Gnumeric Spreadsheet