<<Include(AA1/Header)>> This page contains initial installation suggestions.
To install Ubuntu on the AA1, you'll need to use either an external optical drive (connected via USB), or create USB storage install media.
- Refer to Installation/FromUSBStick for directions on creating USB installation media.
- You may also plug in an external optical drive and use an Ubuntu LiveCD/LiveDVD.
Turn on the machine, and press <F12>. Select the correct boot device and press <Enter>. In the <F12> menu:
- USB-HDD refers to a USB storage device.
- Sometimes these will be referred to as USB-FDD, depending on the stick and the specific model of Aspire One. This will not affect the installation, though it is a bug that Acer should fix.
- USB-CDROM refers to an attached external optical drive.
- If you have the hard disk version of the AA1, install like normal.
- If you have the solid state drive (SSD) version, it is suggested that you choose to use a non-journalling filesystem like ext2 to prolong the life of the drive.