Webmail is software which allows you to view email from any computer, anywhere in the world, through your web browser. Squirrelmail is a simple, fast and popular webmail package. The website is here. This guide will enable you to setup webmail on your own server, for use either within your home network, or outside.
In order to run, you need to first set up a number of things:
- A working Mail Transfer Engine, see MailServer
- A working (IMAP) Mail Delivery Agent, see MailServer
- A working Apache installation with PHP, see the UbuntuHelp:ApacheMySQLPHP.
- Squirrel mail does not require MySQL, so you can run it on a server without MySQL installed. However if you wish, you can use MySQL for addressbooks, to set up MySQL, see the Apache page.
- 一个正常工作的Mail Transfer Engine, 参考 MailServer
- 一个正常工作的Mail Delivery Agent, 参考 MailServer
- 一个正常工作并安装了PHP的apach， 参考 UbuntuHelp:ApacheMySQLPHP。
- Squirrel mail 本身并不需要Mysql，所以你可以不用安装Mysql而正常运行Squirrelmail。你也可以为你的地址薄安装 Mysql，安装Mysql请参考UbuntuHelp:ApacheMySQLPHP。
Install the following packages:
squirrelmail (see InstallingSoftware).
sudo apt-get install squirrelmail
请仔细检查下列包是否安装成功 dictionaries-common iamerican ienglish-common ispell squirrelmail-locales
如果没有请 sudo apt-get insall squirrelmail dictionaries-common iamerican ienglish-common ispell squirrelmail-locales
然后安装下列软件包： sudo apt-get install emacsen-common jed-extra spell squirrelmail-decode php5-recode imapproxy
（因为需要PHP的支持。所以把这些安装上去，测试环境是PHP5.4.9＋APACHE2，系统是： UBUNTU13.04 AMD64）
Squirrelmail has a very simple configuration menu. To run it, type:
You can use the numbers and letters to browse through the configuration menu. You don't need to edit all the options. In fact, it is a good idea just to edit the necessary options, until you have squirrelmail working, because it is easier to see what might be wrong. After squirrelmail is working, you can customise all the options! It is a good idea to check the following options though:
- In Menu 2 (mail server settings), although you shouldn't have to edit these, just check they are correct. You can use an imaps server if you like, but if squirrelmail is running on the same machine as your mail server, it is faster and perfectly safe to use imap (you can configure your imap server to ensure that it only listens on
localhostif you like). Check that your mail settings are:
A. Update IMAP Settings : localhost:143 (other) B. Update SMTP Settings : localhost:25
- In Menu 4 (general settings), it is a good idea to enable option 11 (Allow server-side sorting).
请将localhost换成您的实际域名，如：mail.xxx.com否则您可能在外网访问时不能登录或者收发邮件。 Go on to configure Apache, and then come back and explore the other options!
Squirrelmail comes with a sample apache configuration file in
/etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf. You can copy this file to
/etc/apache2/sites-available/squirrelmail with the command:
sudo cp /etc/squirrelmail/apache.conf /etc/apache2/sites-available/squirrelmailthen link it to the sites-enabled directory with the command:
sudo cp -s /etc/apache2/sites-available/squirrelmail /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/squirrelmailYou shouldn't have to edit anything else.
Alternatively, if you wish to use a virtual server setup instead, you can. For setting up SSL, uncomment the last section from the configuration file. For more details on how to use apache, see the Apache page.
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
If you ever wish to disable squirrelmail, you may simply delete the link in the site-enabled directory and restart Apache.
Check it works!
Open a webbrowser, and go to the address
localhost for the address of your server, or your virtualhost, if you have used that Apache setup. You should see the Squirrelmail login box!
On of the strength of squirrelmail is the large amount of plugins that can be added to the webmail. You can find a list of the plugins available here. Installation is very easy, just unpack the plugins in
/usr/share/squirrelmail/plugins/ and look for a
README or an
INSTALL file in the plugin directory.
For plugin activation, you have to launch the configuration utility of squirrelmail as described in squirrelmail configuration section by typing