This document explains how to set up a DSL broadband connection for people living in the UK using a Thomson Speedtouch 330 USB modem or other similar modems supported by the
- With modern kernels (>= 2.6.10) you do not need anything other than the
speedtouchpackage is not needed.
- Download the modem firmware from the Alcatel web site (site down - mirror to zip) and unpack it with the firmware extractor. If this looks complex, you can just download and install an unofficial firmware package
- Firmware (speedtch-*.bin.4) for the (silver) revision 4 modem.
wget http://ftp.linux.it/pub/People/md/warez/speedtouch-firmware.tgz sudo tar xfvz speedtouch-firmware.tgz sudo cp ./firmware/speedtch-1.bin.4 /lib/firmware/speedtch-1.bin sudo cp ./firmware/speedtch-2.bin.4 /lib/firmware/speedtch-2.bin
wget http://ubudsl.googlepages.com/speedtouch-firmware_0.1-7_all.deb sudo dpkg -x speedtouch-firmware_0.1-7_all.deb ./speedtouch-firmware_0.1-7_all sudo cp ./speedtouch-firmware_0.1-7_all/lib/firmware/speedtch-1.bin.4 /lib/firmware/speedtch-1.bin sudo cp ./speedtouch-firmware_0.1-7_all/lib/firmware/speedtch-2.bin.4 /lib/firmware/speedtch-2.bin
- After installing the firmware you may unplug and replug the modem to load it.
- Copy the /usr/share/doc/ppp/examples/peers-pppoa file to e.g. /etc/ppp/peers/adsl. The following command will preform this action:
sudo cp /usr/share/doc/ppp/examples/peers-pppoa /etc/ppp/peers/adsl
- Edit with
gksudo gedit /etc/ppp/peers/adsl
(or for Kubuntu)
kdesudo kwrite /etc/ppp/peers/adsl
to include the username given to you by your isp and the VP and VC identifiers 0.38 (Poland, TPSA neostrada tp 0.35) (they may differ for other ISPs).
- Edit the
gksudo gedit /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
(or for Kubuntu)
kdesudo kwrite /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
file (in /etc/ppp/) and update them with the username and password provided by your isp by adding to each a line in the format
"username@isp" "*" "password"
sudo cp /etc/ppp/pap-secrets /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
- After the boot, you will be able to start the connection with the usual commands
- (FIXME: document how to create an udev script to automatically start the connection after the modem has been initialised.)