Welcome to the community documentation for Ubuntu, created by users just like you! Make sure you also read the Official Documentation which includes all the Desktop and Server Guides. Documentation in other languages is also available. To contribute, please read WikiGuide before making any edits. Thanks.
Here's some information to get your Ubuntu GNU/Linux system up and running:
- Version Release Notes - Find out which Ubuntu release is right for your needs, cutting edge or Long Term Support?
- The Ubuntu CD's - Learn which Ubuntu install CD is right for your computer.
- Installing Ubuntu - Learn basic and advanced methods of installing Ubuntu, also lists supported hardware.
- Upgrading Ubuntu - You've got Ubuntu, and not you want the newest release, here's how.
Switching from Windows, OS X, or another Linux distribution
Essential reading for people switching, or people thinking about it.
- Switching from Windows - For 'Windows refugees' as Linux users call them.
- Switching from Mac OS X -
- Switching from Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Fedora
- Switching from another Linux distribution
After you've installed Ubuntu
- Applications - This page explains the different categories of software applications, as well as how to use them.
- Multimedia Support - Playing MP3, DVD and other popular sound and video formats.
- Installing Software - Finding, installing, and updating software.
- Multimedia - Playing and editing sound and video.
- Internet & Networking - Connecting to the Internet as well as your home or office network.
- Eye Candy - Making your computer look and work cooler.
- Business Environment - Configuring Ubuntu for use in business environments.
- Servers - Setting up web servers, file servers, and more.
- Software From Other Operating Systems - Running other operating systems and their software (including Windows and Windows apps) in Ubuntu.
- Accessibility - Making Ubuntu easier to use for those with physical or visual challenges.
- Programming - Creating software.
Maintain your Computer
- Troubleshooting guides - Solving troubles with configurations and software.
- System Administration - Maintaining your computer.
- Security - Keeping your computer safe.
- Upgrading Ubuntu - Upgrading to a new version of Ubuntu (from Breezy 5.10 to Dapper 6.06 LTS for example).
Connecting and Configuring Hardware
- Ubuntu Hardware Support - Main hardware support page.
- Drives and Partitions - Adding storage, partitioning, accessing your Windows files, and more.
- Portable Gadgets - Syncing and transferring files from PDAs, audio players, mobile phones, and cameras.
- Keyboard and Mouse - Setting up your keyboard and mouse.
- Laptops - Reports on using Ubuntu on a portable computer.
- Network, wireless & internet devices - Setting up networking & internet devices.
- Printers - Setting up and using your printer.
- Sound - Setting up and using sound cards, speakers, and musical instruments.
- Thin Clients - Setting up and using thin clients.
- Video - Setting up graphics hardware.